- 99 Punkte, James Suckling (11/22): „This is a very powerful Monte Bello with currants and blackberry, black licorice and smoked meat. Mint. Some sesame seed, too. It's full-bodied with incredible darkness and saltiness like volcanic salt. Umami. Grilled seaweed. Flavorful and captivating. It goes on for minutes. Try after 2025, but this may age forever.“
- 98 Punkte VINOUS, Antonio Galloni: „The 2019 Monte Bello is a wild, exotic wine. Huge, soaring aromatics meld into a core of heady, exotically ripe fruit. Not a shy wine by any means, the 2019 is atypically opulent, and yet all of the classic Monte Bello structure is there, underneath all of that fruit. The 2019 needs time in the bottle to shed its baby fat, but there is a lot to look forward to. I imagine it will always be a pretty exuberant wine. Inky red fruit, blood orange, espresso, sweet American oak, cedar and pipe tobacco leave a lasting impression. In a word: magnificent!“
- 98 Punkte DECANTER, Karen MacNeil: „Opens with soaring red raspberry and vivid cassis flavours. Even more precise and pure-tasting than its brother, the Estate Cabernet, Monte Bello has exquisite choreography and building on the palate. Still terribly young, has an immense structure. With time, its finish will no doubt lengthen if one can endure the agony of waiting. This is the wine that has established Ridge as a California 'First Growth'. Because of the vineyard’s cool mountain site exposed to the Pacific, Monte Bello always has a dramatic freshness—drinking it, you feel as though you’re in the mountains yourself. The first Monte Bello vines were planted in 1886, but the vineyard fell into near ruin during and post-Prohibition. A mere 3.25ha (eight acres) were replanted in 1949 and were the source of the first Monte Bello in 1962. Since then, other historic blocks have also been replanted. The 2019 is 82% Cabernet Sauvignon, 9% Merlot, 8% Petit Verdot and 1% Cabernet Franc. Drinking Window: 2028-2060
- 96 Punkte, Wine Enthusiast, Matt Kettmann; 6. Platz der TOP 100 Cellar Selections 2022: „Rich and smoky on the nose, this famed estate Cabernet Sauvignon is enhanced with 9% Merlot, 8% Petit Verdot and 1% Cabernet Franc,. Aromas of roasted plum, mesquite, sandalwood and frankincense show on the nose. Impressively polished tannins consume the palate, where roasted berry, black plum and toasted coffee flavors linger long.“ Drink now–2039.
- 95 Punkte JEB DUNNUCK: „The 2019 Cabernet Sauvignon Monte Bello is a more Cabernet Sauvignon-dominated blend of 82% Cabernet Sauvignon, 9% Merlot, 8% Petit Verdot, and the balance Cabernet Franc, all hitting 13.7% alcohol. As usual, it was aged in new American oak. It shows the higher Cabernet component and is deep purple-hued and tight and closed, with a primordial vibe to its dark blue and black fruit, smoked tobacco, vanilla bean, graphite, and cedarwood aromatics. Medium to full-bodied on the palate, it has terrific overall balance, building, ripe tannins, a good sense of freshness, and outstanding length. It reminds me slightly of the 2018 with its more elegant, streamlined profile, but I expect this to build with bottle age, and it should have 2-3 decades of overall longevity.“ 2022-2052
- 95 Punkte, Wine Spectator, James Molesworth: „This has a densely packed core of vivid red and black currant and mulberry fruit, which is encased for now in a mix of charcoal, cast iron, singed mesquite and apple wood. Shows terrific drive, though, and everything is in proportion, with an echo of violet hinting at some inner purity. This will just need time to unwind.“ Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Petit Verdot and Cabernet Franc. Best from 2024 through 2040. 5,700 cases made.
|Wine Enthusiast:||96 WE|
|James Suckling:||99 JS|
|Jeb Dunnuck:||95 JD|
|Rebsorte(n):||Petit VerdotCabernet SauvignonMerlotCabernet Franc|
|Region:||Santa Cruz Mountains|
|Reben:||82% Cabernet Sauvignon, 9% Merlot, 8% Petit Verdot and 1% Cabernet Franc. Organically Grown|
|% vol Alk:||13,7|
|Notizen des Weinguts:||Winemaker Tasting Notes Opaque, saturated ruby in color. Aromas of cassis, fennel, cola, clove-nutmeg spice, toasted oak, wet crushed stone, black tea, and sweet dry chaparral. Palate of ripe cassis, blackberry, and mountain bramble. Lively acid and polished velvety tannins with a smooth, full body and long finish showing limestone mineral and forest floor. EB (4/20) Vintage Notes December brought intense rains but they ended by January. Drenching spring storms saved the growing season. Though summer was foggy and cold, the vines received abundant sunshine and warmth that ripened the grapes by early October. Reduced pump-overs during fermentation helped moderate tannin extraction. Assembled by blind-taste, twenty-two lots came together to make this superb vintage. Sensuous and showing great complexity, it will be enjoyable over the next thirty years. Growing Season Rainfall: 26 inches (below normal) Bloom: June Weather: Winter rains were late to arrive, delivering a season’s worth or rainfall in March. This gave Monte Bello 75% of the 26 inches of rain for the year, which is below normal. Spring remained cold with heavier than usual fog, slowing the progress for a late September harvest. Winemaking Harvest Dates: 28 September – 18 October Grapes: Average Brix 24.4˚ TA: 7.43 g/L pH: 3.39 Fermentation: Grapes destemmed, 100% whole berry fermentation. 15% automated berry sorting. Fermented on the native yeasts. Pressed at eight days. Natural malolactic. Selection: Twenty-three Monte Bello parcels Barrels: 100% new air-dried oak barrels (90% American, 7% French, 3% Ozark). Aging: Seventeen months in barrel Hand-harvested; estate grown Monte Bello Vineyard grapes, organically farmed, destemmed and sorted; fermented on the native yeasts; full malolactic on the naturally occurring bacteria; 0.22 g/L calcium carbonate added to moderate the high natural acidity in seven of the twenty-three fermenters; oak from barrel aging; minimum effective sulfur 35 ppm at crush, 78 ppm during aging; depth filtered at bottling. In keeping with our philosophy of minimal intervention, this is the sum of our actions.|
|Potenziell allergene Substanzen:||Enthält Sulfite. Kann Spuren von Eiweiß, Gelatine und Milch enthalten.|
|Importeur/Inverkehrbringer:||CWD Champagner- und Wein-Distributionsgesellschaft mbH & Co. KG, Hamburger Str. 14-20, 25436 Tornesch|
|Warnungen:||Der Konsum von alkoholhaltigen Getränken während der Schwangerschaft kann selbst in geringen Mengen schwere Konsequenzen für die Gesundheit des Kindes nach sich ziehen.|
|Hersteller:||Ridge Vineyards / Monte Bello, 17100 Montebello Road, Cupertino, CA 95014, USA, www.ridgewines.com|
Es gibt noch keine Bewertungen.