- 96-98 Punkte Robert Parkers WINE ADVOCATE, Lisa Perrotti-Brown: "The deep purple-black colored barrel sample of 2016 Cask 23 Cabernet Sauvignon features compelling, youthful notes of freshly crushed red and black currants, black cherries, kirsch and mocha with nuances of Marmite toast, roasted nuts, underbrush and truffles. Medium to full-bodied, the palate has a very firm frame of super ripe tannins supporting the multilayered flavors, finishing on an epically long, lingering fragrant earth note. Beautiful."
- 95 Punkte und "Cellar Selection" WINE ENTHUSIAST, Virginie Boone: "This gorgeous wine combines the best of two historic vineyards—Fay and S.L.V.—into one cohesive, refined whole. A soft entry of woody spice and toasted oak leads the way to an expansive midpalate of currant, crushed rock, dried herb and elegant tannins begging for further time in the bottle. Enjoy 2026–2036."
- 95 Punkte WINESPECTATOR, James Molesworth: "Well-detailed, with a deep, solidly built core of currant, blackberry, bramble and apple wood notes, showing good energy through the richly layered finish. Youthful, but slowly takes on a more seductive feel as this airs in the glass. Best from 2022 through 2035. 3,000 cases made."
- 95+ Punkte VINOUS, Antonio Galloni: "The 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Cask 23 is powerful and savory in the glass, with tons of both aromatic nuance and supporting structure that give the wine gravitas as well as a very clear sense of direction. The plum, blackberry jam, grilled herb, lavender and dark spice notes are all very finely drawn in this big but polished Cabernet Sauvignon from Stag's Leap Wine Cellars."
- 97 Punkte FALSTAFF, Peter Moser: "Tiefdunkles Rubingranat, opaker Kern, violette Reflexe, zarte Randaufhellung. Pomerolartige Trüffel-Kirsch-Nuancen, sind mit reifen Feigen unterlegt, Nougat und Haselnussnoten, florale Nuancen von kandierten Veilchen. Stoffig, komplex und extraktsüß, opulente dunkle Beerenfrucht, reife Tannine, feinwürziger Touch im Abgang, mineralisch und anhaltend, verfügt über Entwicklungspotenzial für Jahrzehnte."
- 95 Punkte DECANTER Panel Tasting: "The grapes for this wine come from Stag’s Leap’s two esteemed estate vineyards, with 56% of the fruit sourced from Fay and 44% from SLV. Deriving perfumed notes from Fay and structural backbone from the SLV, the wine was then matured in new French oak for 20 months.
Stephen Brook - Delicate and floral, oaky nose, has charm and lift. Svelte and rounded, a touch soft and lacking in verve and acidity. Forward, but has some spice to pep up the finish. Yet it lacks drive and energy, staying power.
James Doidge - Opaque purple colour, floral and intense aromas, very soft tannins with lush fruit, lithe acidity, lovely texture, great length.
Ronan Sayburn MS - Espresso coffee and rosemary nose, densely concentrated fruit.
Drinking Window 2020 – 2045"
- 97 Punkte INTERNATIONAL WINEREPORT: "A simply marvelous showing in this vintage is the ‘Cask 23’ Cabernet Sauvignon from Stags Leap Wine Cellars. The 2016 is composed from 56% FAY vineyard (blocks 7A&B, 8C2, 10A, 12A, 3A, 2A) and 44% is from S.L.V. (blocks 3B, 2B, 2A, 4) which all spent 20 months, 100% new French oak. This downright seductive wine begins with aromas of ripe blackberries, currants, mocha, spices and hints of herbs and floral nuances which all come together and burst from the glass. On the palate this is full-bodied and layered with beautiful round, polished tannins that lead up to the long voluptuous finish. Winemaker Marcus Notaro has crafted a sensational Cask 23 in this vintage, which is nearly impossible to resist today, but will surely have a long graceful evolution ahead."
- 95 Punkte JAMES SUCKLING: "Shows extremely complex aromas of blackberries and currants with pine needles and black olives. Subtle, yet complete on the nose. Full body, extremely fine tannins and good balance. Very long and caressing on the finish. Goes on for a long time. Better after 2021."
|Wine Enthusiast:||95 WE|
|James Suckling:||95 JS|
|Parker Wine Advocate:||97 RPWA|
|International Wine Report:||97 IWR|
|Im Weinkeller:||100% Edelstahltanks und 100% Malolaktische Gärung, 21 Monate in neuer Französischer Eiche (96%)|
|% vol Alk:||14,5|
|Notizen des Weinguts:||The story of CASK 23 began during the harvest of 1974. Back then, the winery enlisted the help of celebrated winemaker André Tchelistcheff. As he tasted through various lots of new wines from that year, one lot from S.L.V. was so beautiful and deliciously distinct the winery decided it should be bottled separately. It was named CASK 23 for the large wooden cask in which it was aged. Today, the wine is a blend of the most distinctive fruit from the S.L.V and FAY vineyards, resulting in a wine of extraordinary depth and richness balanced by restraint. Over the years, CASK 23 has become one of the most highly regarded and collected wines worldwide. Vineyards & Winemaking CASK 23 is a tale of two vineyards that come together in a harmonious blend. For the 2013 offering, 45% of the fruit is from S.L.V. (blocks 2B, 3B, 2A, 4) and 55% from FAY (blocks 8C, 3B, 2A, 5A, 7A). Specific blocks within these adjoining ranches provide distinct attributes to the wine. Vines planted in volcanic soils on the eastern hillsides of S.L.V. and FAY give CASK 23 its structure, concentration, spicy intensity and elegant tannins; those grown in the alluvial soils in the middle and lower sections of the two vineyards add vibrant fruit flavors, a supple mid-palate and perfumed aromatics. Each lot was vinified and aged separately in small French oak barrels for 21 months, allowing the characteristics of each block to develop, while adding subtle spice notes. In the latter stages of aging the lots were blended, becoming one in CASK 23. Vintage The 2013 harvest was Winemaker Marcus Notaro’s first at Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars. He describes the vintage as a winemaker’s dream. “I couldn’t have picked a better vintage to start with,” he said. “This was one of the most even vintages I’ve ever experienced, giving ultimate quality and uniform ripeness.” A dry winter and spring were followed by warm weather in May/June that turned to moderate, if not cool, temperatures in July/August. The grapes colored up quickly and evenly; a nice sign that the grapes would finish off ripening in a uniform manner. A four-day heat spike in early September hastened ripening of some grapes, but there was an immediate return to moderate conditions and near perfect weather for the rest of September and early October. The varietals ripened one after another and the blocks ripened evenly. This allowed the fruit to be picked at the right time for each block and gave ample time in the winery to bring out the best characters for each lot. Tannins are ripe and soft and the wines are full of fruit. Wine The 2013 FAY Cabernet Sauvignon offers inviting aromas of blackberry, cinnamon and violet along with hints of clove and nutmeg that carry over onto the palate. The wine has a soft, plush texture with fine-grained annins that meld with the signature bright red cherry notes of the vineyard, leading to a lingering finish. Try pairing this estate-grown Cabernet with prosciuttowrapped pork tenderloin, braised short-ribs or roast chicken with fried sage.|
|Potenziell allergene Substanzen:||Enthält Sulfite. Kann Spuren von Eiweiß, Gelatine und Milch enthalten.|
|Importeur/Inverkehrbringer:||Wein Wolf, Königswinterer Str. 552, 53227 Bonn|
|Warnungen:||Der Konsum von alkoholhaltigen Getränken während der Schwangerschaft kann selbst in geringen Mengen schwere Konsequenzen für die Gesundheit des Kindes nach sich ziehen.|
|Hersteller:||Stags' Leap Winery, 6150 Silverado Trail, Napa, CA 94558|
In der aktuellen Sprache gibt es keine Bewertungen.