- 93 Punkte Terroirist, Isaac Baker, am 24. 8. 2019: ?Light yellow color. Gorgeous nose of salted limes, apricot, pineapple, with dusty, chalky, sea spray notes. Laser-like focus on the palate, quite dry and vibrant. Juicy yellow and green apples with limes, and a complex mix of limestone, ocean spray, mountain stream and crushed shells. Such a lively, complex, balanced and age-worthy Riesling. Smith-Madrone does it again, and this vintage is a stunner for the cellar. 12.8% alcohol, about 0.7% residual sugar. (93 points)?
- 8,5-9 Punkte VINOGRAPHY: "Light gold in the glass, this wine smells of honey and citrus oil. In the mouth, a hint of paraffin, citrus pith and honeysuckle have a delicate acidity and nice wet pavement minerality. Pretty. 12.8% alcohol. Score: between 8.5 and 9."
- Blog The Nittany Epicurean, Michael Chelus, am 23. 8. 2019: ?Ideal aperitif. This wine is 100% riesling from the Spring Mountain District in the Napa Valley. 1,199 cases were made and the wine comes in at 12.8% ABV. The wine showed a light golden color. Pear, lemon curd, apple, stone fruit and whiffs of petrol all arrived on the nose. Pear, pithy lemon, apple, candied citron, apricot and hints of petrol followed on the palate where the citrus was bright and abundant. The wine exhibited good acidity and balance, along with good structure and length. This wine would be an ideal aperitif and would also pair well with steamed lobster or crispy pork schnitzel.?
- Blog JamesTheWineGuy, James Melendez, am 11.08.2019: ??a fantastic wine?splendidly well-crafted?winemaking vision??
- Blog The Bohemian, James Knight, am 7. August 2019, im Rahmen einer Riesling Verkostung: ?Not So Sweet - The racy acidity of Napa's Smith-Madrone Riesling compares favorably with its Australian counterparts. (?) Holy honeycomb-lanolin gelato! This wine?s two of a kind with the d?Arenberg, but a few extra years bring aromas like toasted honeycomb to the fore. Sounds sweet? It?s not sweet. Riesling can develop scents that seem tantalizingly dulcet, yet the wine remains crisp, dry and refreshing. The lanolin note is like a softer version of the ?petrol,? or mineral oil, aroma that aged Rieslings (and some younger ones, like the d?Arenberg) may show, and there?s a tinge of herb, as well?though it?s not as ?würzy? as Gewürztraminer. Dry Riesling is great with seafood?like, say a shrimp off that barbie.?
- Notizen des Weinguts: ?Aromatically, the 2016 Riesling has strong floral notes with an admixture of lime, stone fruits and minerality. These qualities translate seamlessly into a succulent mid-palate replete with corresponding flavors. Very Alsatian in styles, the creamy center suggests a kind of delicate forcefulness that finishes with a bright, lively, juicy-fruit acidity.Altogether lovely, delicious and stylish, the Riesling would be great ice-cold on a hot summer day or make a superb accompaniment to a wide variety of food either spicy or savory. This wine is made from mountain grown grapes, honoring the international tradition of Riesling which thrives on steep hillsides. At Smith-Madrone our goal is to make artisanal wines which are distinctive and are an expression of both the vintage and us as vintners, but above all else, are wines which bring pleasure to the senses. Every year our wine is made from the same vineyards, pruned by the same people in the same way, cultivated in exactly the same manner and harvested at similar levels of maturity, yet Mother Nature stamps each vintage with a unique set of flavors, senses and character. Vintage dating is a celebration of that uniqueness and diversity.?
- Blog ellenonwine.com, Ellen Landis, am 30. Juli 2019: ?Smith-Madrone Vineyards & Winery was one of my first Napa ?wow? wine experiences. I visited them in my early years of wine study and appreciation while traversing Napa Valley with colleagues and savvy wine collector friends. It was an enlightening afternoon there, and the wines showed incredibly well, impressing the knowledgeable group assembled. Founded in 1971 by Stuart Smith, the vineyards are situated at the top of Spring Mountain, on steep slopes at elevations up to 2,000 feet. All their wines come from fruit rooted among their estate dry-farmed vineyards. Today, brothers Stu and Charlie, and Stu?s son Sam, manage the property and tend to the winemaking, and they remain at the top of their game.
The classic petrol and citrus blossom aromas simple scream what is in this glass- a beautifully crafted, irresistible dry Riesling. Unwinding with enchantment are layers of sun-ripened peaches, lemon basil, nectarines, fresh squeezed lime juice, and a solid thread of minerality creating a kaleidoscope of vibrant flavors on the palate. Vitalizing and elegant with immaculate balance, and the finish soars.?
- WASHINGTON POST: "Napa Valley is the land of cabernet, but Smith-Madrone, on Spring Mountain at the valley?s northern end, steadfastly maintains some of its higher-elevation vineyards with riesling. And riesling fans know its quality is reliably outstanding. The 2016 offers flavors of ripe peach and apricot, with a dash of wild herbs, and a mouth-filling texture that refuses to quit. ABV: 12.8 percent."
- VINE PAIR, Edward Deitch: "In the winery?s 2016 Riesling, we get both opulent California fruit and the refreshing acidity that is characteristic of Riesling. The $34 wine, which is made slightly off-dry (as most great Rieslings are) but is by no means sweet, is on the same level as some top Rieslings from Europe or New York?s Finger Lakes.
And it is simply delightful to drink, with ripe fruit notes of green apple, white peach, and apricot, accented by wet stone and petrol that round out the profile of this complex and delicious offering.
For me, the Riesling is always the new release I anticipate most among Smith-Madrone?s wines. With moderate alcohol of 12.8 percent, it?s a versatile wine for food and is great to sip on its own. The 2016 accounted for 685 cases of the winery?s 3,000-case production.
This is a California classic that will expand your thinking about Napa Valley wines."
- 93 Punkte PURELY DOMESTIC WINE REPORT, Doug Wilder: "The nose is a fresh green apple acidity with whiffs of blossoms and ripe peach. The palate offers a bright, crisp and bone dry apple with a fragrant oiliness in the core. Excellent focus and clarity on the finish. Drink 2019-2028."
Bewertungen für den Jahrgang 2015:
- PleaseThePalate, Allison Levine (Mai 2018): "The minerality is screaming out of the glass. With fresh aromas of lemon, green apple, apricot and wet stones, this wine is powerful but elegant. It is crisp and bright and the acidity dances on the tongue. This wine is just so enjoyable!"
- Forbes, Cathy Huyghe (Mai 2018): "Seriously, people. Why are we not all drinking more riesling? The price-to-quality ratio for most rieslings we?ll find on the market is pretty much off the hook even, or especially, for older vintages. Both things are true for this riesling from Napa ? that it?ll be even better 10 to 15 or even 20 years from now, and $32? For a single varietal bottle, of this quality, from the Spring Mountain District? Come on."
- CMK Wine, Cameron Kossen (Mai 2018): "American grown Riesling is gaining popularity but at Smith-Madrone, that is nothing new. They have been producing Estate Riesling since soon after they planted it on the steep slopes of Spring Mountain in 1971. Winemakers, Charlie Smith and Stuart Smith, let the fruit and the vintage do the talking and just make pure and classic Riesling. Their newest release, 2015, is tasting delicious out the gates but has some major potential to evolve over the next couple decades. Fresh zesty aromas and flavors of lemon peel, green apple, honey suckle, and crushed stone. It is clean and bright with a fabulous tingly minerality on the finish that feels like it is dancing throughout your palate to entice the senses. This is a wine that will reward patience but your patience will be tested."
|Im Weinberg:||Spring Mountain District|
|% vol Alk:||13,0|
|Potenziell allergene Substanzen:||Enthält Sulfite. Kann Spuren von Eiweiß, Gelatine und Milch enthalten.|
|Importeur/Inverkehrbringer:||Schreiblehner Wein bewegt, Gewerbepark Lindach B1, D-84489 Burghausen|
|Warnungen:||Der Konsum von alkoholhaltigen Getränken während der Schwangerschaft kann selbst in geringen Mengen schwere Konsequenzen für die Gesundheit des Kindes nach sich ziehen.|
|Hersteller:||Smith-Madrone Vineyards & Winery, PO Box 451, St. Helena, CA 94574, USA|