- PULL THAT CORK, Nancy Brazil (7/2020): "An elegant, complex and evolved wine that is still bright and youthful. Complex dark fruit and cedar aromas are followed with dark plum and red fruit flavors. Hints of cedar and pencil shavings add complexity. Tannins are silky smooth and the finish is very long. Delicious."
- THE SOMM JOURNAL, Fred Swan (12/2016): "Stellar, loaded with ripe, juicy black currant and cherry, plus cocoa and dark mineral. It's nearly full-bodied with fine, chalky tannins."
- FRED SWAN (11/2016): "A powerhouse of black currant and chocolate which drinks very well now but will age for 15+ years."
- FOOD & SPIRITS MAGAZINE, Mark Gudgel: "Charles probably put it best: “We make this wine because it makes us really happy.” It made me really happy, too. A blend of 64% Cab Sauvignon, 22% Cab Franc, and 14% Merlot, this wine gets the best of everything during the winemaking process, and you’re sure to love it the next time you’re splurging. "
- NAPA FOOD AND VINE: "The 2009 Cooks Flat Reserve is one of those special bottles of wine you don’t drink every day. Priced at $200, per bottle this beauty is really what you would hope for in a mature Cab. Rich berries on the nose and palate, baking spices, weighty and rich in the mouth. We both loved this wine. It will continue to age beautifully for at least 10 years if not more. I would love the opportunity to taste it then. I think that this is one of my favorite quality Cabs I have experienced. It is a wine to be savored and experienced rather than simply consumed."
2450 individually numbered bottles
BEWERTUNGEN FÜR DEN JAHRGANG 2013:
-TalkAVino, Anatoly Levine, (12/2019): „This might be how you spell “PHENOMENAL”. This wine was a pure pleasure. Pure, hedonistic, unadulterated pleasure. This is the wine at the level of magic – you take a sip, you whisper “wow”, you quietly reflect on what is happening, immersing into the moment. Then you take another sip and repeat. YES, MAGIC.“
-Advinetures, Allison & Chris Wallace (5/2020): „Cook’s Flat is what the locals used to call the 8 acre plot planted in 1972 and used to grow the grapes for this red blend. This vintage the cuvée was 57% Cabernet Sauvignon, with roughly equal parts of Merlot and Cabernet Franc. Many Napa proprietary blends or luxury cuvées are distinguished by their power. The Smiths, always marching to the beat of their own drum, have focused on elegance in this wine. More toward the black fruit end of the spectrum than their regular Cabernet, this wine showed great intensity without any heaviness. The tannins are medium+, but they are ripe and polished. A rich mouthfeel makes it a pleasure to drink now but Stu assured us this has a long future in the cellar. With such precise balance, we have no reason to doubt him.“- Blog The Syrah Queen, Rupal Shankar, am 28. August 2019: „The Cook’s Flat Reserve is one of my all-time favorite Napa Valley wine. I have had the honor to taste the 2012 and the 2013. Charlie very generously opened a bottle of 2013 for me, and I had the opportunity to try the 2012 last year with a group of fellow wine writers. The Cook’s Flat Reserve is a wine that will appeal to all Bordeaux lovers.
The 2013 that Charlie poured in my glass, is a blend of 46% Cabernet Franc, 33% Cabernet Sauvignon and 21% Merlot. It is an exceptional wine with rich red fruit and spice. There are hints of blackberry, currants, black pepper, dark chocolate, nutmeg, leather, and tobacco. The wine is powerful with silky tannins. Its precise balance is reminiscent of an old-world style wine.
My time with Charlie at Smith-Madrone Vineyards was very humbling and grounding; he epitomized what all winemaking should be like. The wines are world-class in every way – real, authentic and beautiful. The vineyards atop Spring Mountain are magical, an untouched part of Napa Valley. A bit off the beaten path, Smith-Madrone is definitely a winery that needs to be explored by all Napa Valley wine lovers.“
- Notizen des Weinguts: „This is a limited production wine of 194 cases created by the careful selection and blending of a small group of the best barrels the vintage had to offer. In 2013, this means the wine is 46% Cabernet Franc, 33% Cabernet Sauvignon and 21% Merlot, aged for19 months in 100% new French oak from the forests of Tronçais, Nevers and Allier. Following barrel aging, the wine rested for two and a half years in the bottle before its release on November 13, 2018. Cook’s Flat Reserve represents our uncompromisingpursuit of perfection in winemaking. Each bottle is numbered and tissue wrapped with a copy of the U.S. Land Office patent which was signed by President Chester A. Arthur, granting ownership of the land to George Cook. That original document hangs in the winery and is an important part of our history. We chose this name in tribute to George Cook, the first owner of the property and the person who originally planted the vines here in the 1880s.The 2013 Cook’s Flat Reserve is a text--book example of the wonderful complexities available in fine wine to those who are willing to slow down and savor the moment. Aromatically fascinating, this wine is a nearly inexhaustible cornucopia of alluring fragrances. It leads with a deep black/red core of fruit surrounded by grace notes of leather, tobacco, nutmeg, violets and cedar. There is even a hint, a mere suggestion, perhaps something like orange zest sprinkled on a dab of brown sugar. An aroma of this complexity is so haunting as to be an end in itself. Happily, after such a glorious start the wine has terrific follow--through on the palate. The black/red fruit that forms the core of the aroma happily repeats itself as it wells up deliciously in the mid--palate with sumptuous portions of black currants and blackberries. A sleek and creamy texture overlays an under--current of light acidity and graceful tannins that promise a long and happy life for those inclined to wait. All in all, the wine is generous without being over--the--top, beautifully composed, harmonious, complete and lingering.“
|Rebsorte(n):||Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot Cabernet Franc|
|Reben:||46% Cabernet Franc, 33% Cabernet Sauvignon, 21% Merlot|
|Im Weinberg:||100% Estate Grown am Spring Mountain, Napa Valley|
|Im Weinkeller:||19 month in 100% new French oak|
|% vol Alk:||14,5|
|Notizen des Weinguts:||Smith-Madrone was established in the spring of 1971 when we cleared the forest and reclaimed a long abandoned vineyard. We have meticulously farmed Chardonnay, Riesling, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Cabernet Franc in the ensuing years. We built the winery; we make the wine. Yes---authentic and artisanal. After an enormous amount of thinking, tasting and walking through the vineyard….we decided to make a Reserve. The Cook's Flat Reserve bottling represents the very best of which we are capable in a given year. It can only be made in small quantities and will only be available when warranted by a vintage of superior quality. It is the ultimate distillation of our experience and expertise. Cook's Flat Reserve is a proprietary name for a wine that is the culmination of our 46 years of growing grapes and making wine in the mountains of the Spring Mountain District. The name refers to George Cook, the first owner of the property. 'Cook's Flat' was the local oldtimers' name for the eight-acre plateau-like vineyard block which was replanted in 1972. The packaging expresses the property's history and an uncompromising attention to detail. Each bottle is numbered; only 1,350 bottles of the 2012 vintage were produced. Each bottle is wrapped in tissue which has been printed with a copy of the U.S. Land Office Patent which granted ownership to George Cook and was signed by President Chester Arthur on December 5, 1885. We proudly display the original at the winery. The wine is a blend of 58% Cabernet Sauvignon, 25% Cabernet Franc and 17% Merlot. It is classically structured for sustained aging and has layers upon layers of dark, rich fruit flavors.|
|Potenziell allergene Substanzen:||Enthält Sulfite. Kann Spuren von Eiweiß, Gelatine und Milch enthalten.|
|Importeur/Inverkehrbringer:||Schreiblehner Wein bewegt, Gewerbepark Lindach B1, D-84489 Burghausen|
|Warnungen:||Der Konsum von alkoholhaltigen Getränken während der Schwangerschaft kann selbst in geringen Mengen schwere Konsequenzen für die Gesundheit des Kindes nach sich ziehen.|
|Hersteller:||Smith-Madrone Vineyards & Winery, PO Box 451, St. Helena, CA 94574, USA|
Es gibt noch keine Bewertungen.