- GABESVIEW.COM, Gabe Sasso: "This isn’t a shy Chardonnay, neither is it an ostentatious and over the top Chardonnay. This is though a big mouthful of delicious Chardonnay. Over the years they learned which barrels work for their vineyard, and while it has 80% New French Oak on it, it’s never obtrusive in the least. Vibrant orchard fruit is buttressed by oodles of rich Meyer lemon. Those flavors fill your mouth and make it happy. If you think you don’t like Chardonnay, try this one, you may experience a revelation."
-95 Punkte WineReviewOnline.com, Rich Cook (11/2019): „I’ve been raving about Smith-Madrone for some years now, and I won’t be slowing down any time soon. I got a sneak preview of this wine last fall, and it has certainly lived up to its initial flash. Dry farmed and barrel fermented, it’s then aged in mostly new French oak, which might lead you to expect overt wood influence. That’s not at all the case here, with singing lemon forward fruit soloing above supportive yet nuanced oak spice and a trumpet section of acidity that gives the wine a great finish and push through to the bold finale. Bravo once again to the Smith clan for a command performance that’s destined to resonate for years.“
-94 Punkte WINE ENTHUSIAST und „Cellar Selection“, Virginie Boone (12/2019): „This gorgeous, acid-driven Chardonnay is made from the producer's dry-farmed estate. Stone, apricot, apple, pear and fig ride along a focused, linear palate. Barrel fermentation has lent texture and nuance without distraction. It finishes succulent, soft and inviting.“
- 94 Punkte PURELY DOMESTIC WINE REPORT, Doug Wilder: "The nose is a deep, oily lemon and hazelnut with notes of dry chalk, buttercream, licorice, sap and whiffs of toffee. The palate entry is a lean, pure white pear and citrus with a core of mouth-coating peach and lemon cream. Exceptional mouthfeel and texture. Drink 2019 – 2027."
- 94 Punkte FRED SWAN (Sommelier, Educator und Wine-Writer): "Smith-Madrone is an extremely reliable producer of excellent Chardonnay that is generous, but well-balanced. The wines have plenty of acidity, but are intended for relatively near-term enjoyment, rather than long aging. The 2016 is a great example of their style.
The nose is complex and beautiful. It’s bold out of the bottle, then mellows nicely in the glass. Aromas include just-ripe yellow apple and pear, baking spice, a chiffonade of mint, lightly toasted almond, and sweet cream. The palate is mouthwatering and features tangier fruit - lemon and green apple - along with the baking spice and sweet cream. Body is medium-plus and there’s the texture of fine, grippy silk holding everything together harmoniously. Drink now through 2022."
- 9/10 Punkte VINOGRAPHY, Alder Yayrrow: "Light yellow-gold in the glass, this wine smells of lemon curd and a touch of caramelized oak. In the mouth, bright lemon curd flavors mix with a hint of butterscotch and toasted oak. As usual, this wine walks the line between the fresher, brighter style of Napa Chardonnay and old school richness. 14.4% alcohol. Score: around 9."
- 93 Punkte Terroirist, Isaac Baker, am 24. 8. 2019: „Light yellow color. Aromas of juicy yellow apples topped in complex notes of honey, almond, cinnamon, sea salt, hay and chalk dust. Deep texture on the palate with pretty acidity and lovely balance. Yellow apples, candied lemons, orange peel and apricot, juicy and fruity but also airy and elegant. Salty, minerals, chalky, with notes of honey, nougat and hay. Gorgeous, deep, yet vibrant. Another beautiful Chardonnay from Smith-Madrone. Barrel fermented with 80% new French oak. I’d love to age this for five years. (93 points)“
-Advinetures, Alison and Chris Wallace: „Extraordinary: Wow! This is why California Chardonnay, in the hands of the top growers, can compete on the world stage with the very best. Gold in colour, we pick up bruised apple, stone fruit, melon and hints of tropical fruit. The textre of this wine is simply spectacular. The gorgeous mouth-feel is full and round and the back-end acidity maintains precise definition and gives this wine perfect balance. The Smiths found the fulcrum with this wine! The finish goes on and on and is infused with hints of mineral and lemon zest. At the winery when we tasted it we rated it Excellent/Extraordinary. We took a bottle to dinner that night. With food, this wine really shone and pushed up our rating.“
- Blog ellenonwine.com, Ellen Landis, am 30. Juli 2019: „Smith-Madrone Vineyards & Winery was one of my first Napa “wow” wine experiences. I visited them in my early years of wine study and appreciation while traversing Napa Valley with colleagues and savvy wine collector friends. It was an enlightening afternoon there, and the wines showed incredibly well, impressing the knowledgeable group assembled. Founded in 1971 by Stuart Smith, the vineyards are situated at the top of Spring Mountain, on steep slopes at elevations up to 2,000 feet. All their wines come from fruit rooted among their estate dry-farmed vineyards. Today, brothers Stu and Charlie, and Stu’s son Sam, manage the property and tend to the winemaking, and they remain at the top of their game.
A brilliant hue captures the eye, and scents of lemon-splashed stone fruit awaken the nose as this sophisticated Chardonnay is poured from the bottle. Peach flavors are mirrored on the palate, melding with Honeycrisp apple, citrus, herbal accents, and beautiful oak spice nuances. Rich and mouth-filling, with perfect acidity offsetting the juicy fruit through the long memorable finish.“
- Blog The Syrah Queen, Rupal Shankar, am 28. August 2019: „Charlie pointed out that their Chardonnay comes from the block right outside the cellars where we were tasting. He very generously pours three vintages, the 2012, 2014, and 2016. It was wonderful to taste these wines side by side and see the evolution of these wines. The age-ability of the Smith-Madrone Chardonnay is remarkable, and the wines are definitely cellar-worthy. Winemaking for Charlie is also about consistency year in and year out, these wines clearly exhibit quality through the vintages. The 2014 was plush and rounder than the 2012, but the 2012 was incredible too. Charlie and I both were obsessing over the 2014. It was delicious on the palate and showing very well right now. The 2014 did not remind me of a Napa Valley Chardonnay, it was undeniably Burgundian in style.
I won’t bore you with tasting notes on each vintage, but I will make general observations regarding the Smith-Madrone Chardonnays. All three vintages were exceptional wines, each having a nice balance of oak. I was blown away with the generous fruit, stony minerality, and zesty acidity. Smith-Madrone wines are a classic example of a cool climate Chardonnay. The mouth was supple and rich – not rich in oak but rich in texture and flavors.“
- Notizen des Weinguts: „The near perfect 2016 growing season started early and saw ideal weather conditions.This spectacular Chardonnay has a full, forward nose with complex notes of toasted hazelnut, white peaches and Meyer lemon. Admirably restrained oak. Beautiful mid-palate that is full and succulent without being the least bit heavy. Superbly integrated acidity. Overall the wine exhibits a remarkable structure that translates to a lip--smacking juiciness. Oursoils are mostly deep--red Aiken Stoney Clay loam, part of the Aiken, Kidd, Forward complex of soils which are volcanic--basedandwell--drained. The underlying geology is the very old (250,000,000 years) Franciscan Series Assemblage, unique to California coastal ranges, which includes altered mafic volcanic rocks, deep--sea radiolarian cherts, sandstones, limestones, serpentines, shales and high--pressure metamorphic rocks, all of them faulted and mixed in a seemingly chaotic manner as a result of the Pacific Tectonic Plate subducting under the Continental Plate and shears both off into an aggregate mix.Overlying this formation is the much youngerweathered Sonoma Volcanicsthat forms thesoils of today.All our wines are made entirely from ourdry--farmed estate vineyards surrounding the winery on top of Spring Mountain in the Napa Valley. Our goal is to make artisanal wines which are distinctive and are an expression of both the vintage and us, as vintners, but above all else, are wines which bring pleasure to the senses. Every year our wine is made from the same vineyards, pruned by the same people in the same way, cultivated in exactly the same manner and harvested at similar levels of maturity, yet Mother Nature stamps each vintage with a unique set of flavors, senses and character. Vintage dating is a celebration of that uniqueness and diversity.“
- nittanyepicurean.blogspot.com, Michael Chelus: "This wine is 100% estate grown chardonnay. The wine showed a golden color. Apple, like zest, lemon and oak all arrived on the nose. Apple, blood orange, pithy lemon, limestone and oak followed on a palate where citrus stole the show. The wine exhibited good acidity and balance, along with good length and light-bodied. This wine would do well as an aperitif and would pair nicely with a stuffed turkey breast."
- 4/5 Sterne SANTA ROSA PRESS DEMOCRAT: "This is a tasty chardonnay with green apple and stone fruit upfront. Notes of grapefruit and spices play back up. Pitch-perfect balance. Lovely."
- WASHINGTON WINE BLOG: "Aromas of buttered popcorn and roasted hazelnuts offer intrigue on the nose. The freshness and power of the wine is fantastic as ripe vanilla cream and butterscotch flavors mingle with nutty and earthy undertones. The texture really impresses here as this beautiful wine will cellar well for the next decade, picking up tertiary characters as it ages. Drink 2019-2029"
- JoS, verkostet im März 2020: "Kräftiges, strahlendes Goldgelb, mittlere Schlierenbildung; offenes Nasenbild, old-fashion Napa Valley, Anfangs präsente Streiholznoten, Aromen von fruchtigen, gelben Äpfeln, Birne, nicht ganz reife Ananas, reife Grapefruit, Butterkekse, viel Zitrusfrüchte, Limettenschale, geröstete Mandeln, nussige Anklänge, nasse Steine, erdige Anklänge; am Gaumen kraftvoll, cremige Textur und doch viel Frische, kräftige Säure die den Wein ausbalanciert und unter Spannung setzt, unterstützt von einer unheimlich salzigen Mineralität, hat Zzing, mundwässernd, viel Zitrus, enormer Zug, sehr tiefgründig, komplex, sehr langer, frischer Abgang, attraktiver Rückgeschmack; für mich ein toller Wein, ich liebe ihn; er verändert sich ständig, ist komplex, spannend und hoch interessant; unbedingt Dekantieren, Zalto Burgunder Glas! Am nächsten Tag nachverkstet: unverändert. Am dritten Tag nachverkostet: noch besser an als an den ersten beiden Tagen!"
|Im Weinberg:||100% Estate Grown am Spring Mountain District Keine Bewässerung|
|Im Weinkeller:||10 Monate in Französischer Eiche (80% neu)|
|% vol Alk:||14,5|
|Potenziell allergene Substanzen:||Enthält Sulfite. Kann Spuren von Eiweiß, Gelatine und Milch enthalten.|
|Importeur/Inverkehrbringer:||Schreiblehner Wein bewegt, Gewerbepark Lindach B1, D-84489 Burghausen|
|Warnungen:||Der Konsum von alkoholhaltigen Getränken während der Schwangerschaft kann selbst in geringen Mengen schwere Konsequenzen für die Gesundheit des Kindes nach sich ziehen.|
|Hersteller:||Smith-Madrone Vineyards & Winery, PO Box 451, St. Helena, CA 94574, USA|