- 96 Punkte Robert Parkers WINE ADVOCATE, Lisa Perrotti-Brown: "The 2017 Insignia is a blend of 94% Cabernet Sauvignon, 4% Malbec and 2% Cabernet Franc coming from: 46% Las Rocas vineayrd (Stags Leap District), 22% Barboza vineyard (Stags Leap District), 13% Suscol vineyard (South Napa Valley), 10% Yountville vineyard (Oak Knoll District) and 9% Home Ranch (St. Helena). It was aged for 24 months in 100% new French oak barrels. Deep garnet-purple colored, it comes bounding out of the glass with exuberant scents of Black Forest cake, preserved plums and blueberry pie plus touches of redcurrant jelly, potpourri, clove oil and dark chocolate. Medium to full-bodied, the palate has gained weight from it's in-barrel offering, boasting rich, decadently perfumed black fruit preserves flavors with a racy backbone and velvety tannins, finishing long and spicy. 7,400 cases were made."
- 94 Punkte WINESPECTATOR, James Molesworth: "Delivers showy fruit, with layered flavors of warmed boysenberry, blackberry and açaí berry paste, framed by a subtle alder hint and backed by warm earth and cast iron details on the finish. Not shy, and well-built for the vintage. Cabernet Sauvignon, Malbec and Cabernet Franc. Best from 2022 through 2038. 7,600 cases made."
- 91-94 Punkte VINOUS, Antonio Galloni: "The 2017 Insignia is dark, sumptuous and enveloping in feel, with a real sense of breadth and textural resonance. Cedar, tobacco, licorice, leather and incense give the 2017 striking aromatic nuance, but more than anything else, the 2017 is all about palate richness - and it has plenty of that."
- 96 Punkte DECANTER, Jane Anson: "This has a real sense of freshness and grip. A pure expression of Cabernet with a shot of eucalyptus and menthol, extremely concentrated but with elegance and power. The tannins just grip on to your palate and don't let go leading to a lovely chewy finish. This is great stuff, with a discernibly finessed style that shows a fine tannic balance magnified through the lens of Californian heat and laced through with cassis, espresso and chocolate block. Great structure, this will take a few decades of ageing in its stride. 100% new oak, from five vineyards around Napa Valley, mainly in Stags Leap and Oak Knoll. Drinking Window 2023 – 2042"
- 17+ Punkte JANCIS ROBINSON, Tom Parker: "94% Cabernet Sauvignon, 4% Malbec and 2% Cabernet Franc. Winter rains were much needed after three seasons of drought. A warm summer with regular heatwaves. A balance of waiting for fruit flavours against rising potential alcohol was the key to producing good wine in 2017. Harvest took place between 11 September and 7 October with strict selection, leading to the lowest production of Insignia in 20 years.
Deep purple colour. Coconut sweetness in oak on the nose, but there is intense fruit too, with plummy, blackcurrant notes coating that extra sweetness. Expressive and opulent on the nose. Full of spice on the palate, but again the fruit bursts through with great intensity. This is impressive, modern but balanced. Give it some time to settle in the bottle but expect it to age well with the chalky tannins that coat the mouth through to the long finish."
- 96 Punkte INTERNATIONAL WINEREPORT: "The 2017 Joseph Phelps Insignia is a fabulous showing in this vintage. The final blend is composed of 94% Cabernet Sauvignon, 2% Cabernet Franc and 4% Malbec, which spent 24 months in 100% new French oak. This immediately gets going with seductive aromatics of ripe black cherries, blackberries and hints of crème de cassis that are accented by baking spices, fresh violets, moist tobacco, hints of espresso and an earthy mineral character that all take shape and emerge beautifully from the glass. On the palate this is medium/full-bodied with excellent overall balance and poise. It delivers a mouthful of ripe dark/red fruits along with spice and mineral nuances that are framed beautifully by lovely acidity, which provides incredible energy and freshness through the long polished finish. While this is certainly impressive in its youth, it also has the characteristics to evolve for decades and looks as if the best is still yet to come. Insignia seems to have a track record of excelling in challenging vintages, and this is no exception, the 2017 is an absolutely sensational wine that should not be missed."
- 95-97 Punkte JEB DUNNUCK: "Not yet bottled, the 2017 Insignia (which includes no Petit Verdot due to the frosts) offers both red and black fruits as well as lots of spice box, gravelly earth, and integrated oak. It opens up beautifully with time in the glass, is medium to full-bodied, has beautiful mid-palate depth and concentration, and a great finish. It’s a classic, undeniable success in this challenging vintage."
- 93-94 Punkte JAMES SUCKLING: "This is a soft and velvety red with blackberry and blueberry character. Some boysenberry, too. Hints of spice. Medium to full body, round and juicy tannins and a flavorful finish. Drink or hold. Better after 2021."
|James Suckling:||93 JS|
|Parker Wine Advocate:||96 RPWA|
|Jancis Robinson:||17,0 JR|
|International Wine Report:||96 IWR|
|Jeb Dunnuck:||96 JD|
|Reben:||90% Cabernet Sauvignon, 7% Petit Verdot, 2% Cabernet Franc and 1% Malbec from estate-grown Napa Valley vineyards: 21% Las Rocas Vineyard (Stags Leap District), 20% Home Ranch Vineyard (St. Helena), 19% Yountville Vineyard (Oak Knoll District) 15% Suscol Vineyard (South Napa Valley), 15% Barboza Vineyard (Stags Leap District) and 10% Banca Dorada Vineyard (Rutherford)|
|% vol Alk:||15|
|Notizen des Weinguts:||Aging/Cooperage 24 months in 100% new French oak from coopers Taransaud, Dargaud Jaegle, Demptos, Marcel Cadet and Sylvain before bottling in January 2017. Winemaking Data Optimum, even ripening for Insignia designated blocks was acheived by careful vineyard management throughout the growing season. Grapes were held separate during picking, sorting and fermentation. Winemaker Notes The 2015 Insignia is densely hued with rich dark fruit, cocoa powder and fragrant dried flower notes. Velvety texture and weight on the palate with layers of juicy black plum, Madagascar vanilla and bergamot. Bold, creamy and supple with integrated tannin structure and a lengthy finish. Vintage Notes The 2015 Napa Valley growing season experienced dry, mild winter and spring temperatures similar to the prior three growing seasons. The majority of Cabernet Sauvignon was 50% through bud break by the end of March, followed by a normal period of bloom. May temperatures were unseasonably cool, but summer months were consistently warm, with heat spikes in September and October, creating conditions for a low-yielding vintage of high quality fruit from one of the earliest and most condensed harvests on record. Small berries and loose clusters led to intensely concentrated, rich flavors and full-bodied wines from the 2015 vintage.|
|Potenziell allergene Substanzen:||Enthält Sulfite. Kann Spuren von Eiweiß, Gelatine und Milch enthalten.|
|Importeur/Inverkehrbringer:||Weingarten Eden, Am Pfarrstadl, 94086 Bad Griesbach/Karpfham|
|Warnungen:||Der Konsum von alkoholhaltigen Getränken während der Schwangerschaft kann selbst in geringen Mengen schwere Konsequenzen für die Gesundheit des Kindes nach sich ziehen.|
|Hersteller:||Joseph Phelps Vineyards, 200 Taplin Road, St Helena CA 94574, USA|