- 92 Punkte Robert Parkers WINE ADVOCATE: "Phelps is now producing three cuvées of Cabernet Sauvignon ? their Napa Valley, their flagship proprietary red Bordeaux blend called Insignia (which they debuted in 1974), and their Oakville steep hillside vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon called Backus. The basic Cabernet Sauvignon, the 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Napa is 84% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8% Merlot and the rest Petit Verdot, Malbec and Cabernet Franc. It saw 18 months in a combination of both French and American casks. This is their biggest cuvée (27,000 cases) and it is a beauty. The 2014 is supple, with silky tannins, dark plum, blackcurrant and licorice-infused fruit with a touch of spice, a lushness on the attack and mid-palate, and a silky finish. This wine was meant for early drinking, but there is no doubt it has the concentration and overall balance to age nicely for 15-20 years."
- 93 Punkte WINE ENTHUSIAST: "This wine is predominately Cabernet Sauvignon, with smaller amounts of other Bordeaux red varieties. Together, they offer bold, ripe red-currant and -berry flavors, with a rich entry and gravelly texture. Highly stylized, grippy tannins and a leather note provide additional strength."
- VINOUS Antonio Galloni: "Once again, Phelps has done a terrific job with their straight Cabernet Sauvignon. Surprisingly delicate and gracious on the palate, the 2014 is quite feminine in this vintage. Dark red cherry, plum, mocha, licorice and dark spices build as the wine gains depth and fleshiness with time in the glass. The Cabernet remains one of the very finest values in Napa Valley."
- 93 Punkte INTERNATIONAL WINEREPORT: "The 2014 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon is composed of 84% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8% Merlot, 4% Petit Verdot, 2% Malbec and 2% Cabernet Franc from estate-grown Napa Valley vineyards. The wine was aged 18 months in 45% new oak barrels (55% French, 45% American) and 55% two-year-old French and American oak barrels. It opens to aromas of blackberries and dark currants woven together with violets, graphite, anise and mocha notes all bursting from the glass. Full-bodied and voluptuous, this delivers layers of ripe dark fruits which expand onto the long, multi-tiered finish, where spices and mocha notes linger. Overall, this is another simply delicious Cabernet from Joseph Phelps which will continue to evolve beautifully for many years to come. (Best 2019-2030)"
- 92 Punkte JEB DUNNUCK: "The 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon is a great introduction to the estate as well as the vintage. A blend of 84% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8% Merlot and the balance Petit Verdot, it boasts a deep purple color as well as loads of blackberry and currants fruits intermixed with notions of spice cakes, graphite and chocolate. Upfront, supple, forward and undeniably delicious, it?s already drinking nicely yet will keep for 15+ years. I?m just now finishing a case of the 2002 and it?s still drinking beautifully."
- 93 Punkte JAMES SUCKLING: "Layered and subtle with currant, light chocolate, almond and cedar character. Medium body, polished tannins and a flavorful finish, yet this always reserved and polished. Enjoy. Drink or hold."
|Wine Enthusiast:||93 WE|
|James Suckling:||93 JS|
|Parker Wine Advocate:||92 RPWA|
|Jeb Dunnuck:||92 JD|
|International Wine Report:||93 IWR|
|Reben:||84% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8% Merlot, 4% Petit Verdot, 2% Malbec, 2% Cabernet Franc|
|% vol Alk:||14,5|
|Potenziell allergene Substanzen:||Enthält Sulfite. Kann Spuren von Eiweiß, Gelatine und Milch enthalten.|
|Importeur/Inverkehrbringer:||Weingarten Eden, Am Pfarrstadl, 94086 Bad Griesbach/Karpfham|
|Warnungen:||Der Konsum von alkoholhaltigen Getränken während der Schwangerschaft kann selbst in geringen Mengen schwere Konsequenzen für die Gesundheit des Kindes nach sich ziehen.|
|Hersteller:||Joseph Phelps Vineyards, 200 Taplin Road, St Helena CA 94574, USA|