- 90+ Punkte Robert Parkers WINE ADVOCATE, Anthony Mueller: "The 2018 Pinot Noir is still a touch tight and shows a mineral tension with bright, tart red fruit. Slightly underripe strawberry and cherries mingle with cranberry and soft earth tones. The palate is bright and still tight with the tart red fruit expression driving through to the finish showing bright acidity. The finish lingers with hints of dusty minerality and soft rose petal on the medium to long finish. This wine is still young and will age well; just be patient and give it some time in your cellar. 29,256 bottles made."
- 90 Punkte WINESPECTATOR, Aleks Zecevic: "A modern, well-crafted version, showing good harmony overall and a seductive palate, exhibiting dark cherry flavors and hints of clove and vanilla, while mineral and floral accents take the back seat. Solid finish. Best from 2021 through 2027. 2,438 cases made."
- 90 Punkte VINOUS, Neal Martin: "The 2018 Pinot Noir spent 10 months in barrel with 35% new oak. It has a perfumed, quite floral nose of brambly red fruit infused with pressed rose petals, although it is not quite as delineated as other recent vintages that I have encountered. The palate is medium-bodied with supple tannins that frame the mulberry and crushed strawberry fruit, and tertiary notes plus a touch of white pepper toward the gentle finish. It should drink well with just a year in bottle and then continue on to give a decade of pleasure."
- 93 Punkte FALSTAFF: "Leicht rauchiges und vanilliges Holz, würzig-burgunderfruchtig, mit Luftkontakt auch nahezu garrigue-artige Kräutertöne. Gut extrahiert, etwas trockenes, aber reifes Tannin in hoher Dichte, hintergründiger Säurenerv, noch sehr jung und kompakt, hat aber gute Anlagen zur würzigen Entfaltung."
- 95 Punkte DECANTER, Andy Howard: "A fine, structured, monumental Pinot with great tannins on the palate. Typical Pinot Noir characters of truffle and 'sous bois' compliment the warm, spicy notes from nine months maturation in Francois Frère oak barrels. Very much a baby at the moment, this has potential to be one of the finest expressions yet of Hamilton Russell Pinot Noir. Just give it 1-2 years to settle and develop further. Drinking Window 2022 – 2032"
- 93 Punkte INTERNATIONAL WINEREPORT: "The 2018 Hamilton Russell Vineyards Pinot Noir is a stunning release from this estate. As this slowly unwinds in the glass it begins to display its wonderful aromatic range, from salted Marcona almond to cloves and bright red fruits that dance with orange zest nuances. The palate shows a wonderful combination of freshness and salinity, yielding guava, strawberry and orange rind flavors that connect with minerals and earthy undertones. Every bit outstanding, this should go on to evolve well for the next fifteen plus years."
|International Wine Report:||93 IWR|
|Parker Wine Advocate:||90 RPWA|
|Im Weinkeller:||100% im Holzfass ausgebaut für 10 Monate 100% malolaktische Vergärung|
|% vol Alk:||13,5|
|Notizen des Weinguts:||After the early and short 2015 and 2016 harvests, 2018, like 2017 was back to our usual timing, beginning at the end of the first week of February, but (a longer harvest) finishing at the end of the first week of March. Budding was even and successful, with higher than usual early Spring temperatures, but an unusually wet November and a cool December affected flowering and fruit-set, resulting in particularly low yields – far lower than our already low yields. The berries were smaller and the bunches were lighter, but the resulting wines were deeper, fuller and more structured. December and January were drier than average, making for relatively easy and successful disease control organically, with February only very slightly wetter than our long term average. A warmer than average February, combined with the very low yields and small berries did however contribute to the riper more opulent style of 2018 compared to 2017. One of the features of 2018 was fairly variable ripening within individual vineyards, and within individual bunches. Picking on taste, combined with analysis, and picking particular areas within individual vineyards at different times, was particularly important in 2018. This required a high level of vigilance and very close teamwork between cellar and vineyard, both of which were carried out with great success. 2018 was an excellent vintage for us.|
|Potenziell allergene Substanzen:||Enthält Sulfite. Kann Spuren von Eiweiß, Gelatine und Milch enthalten.|
|Importeur/Inverkehrbringer:||CWD Champagner- und Wein-Distributionsgesellschaft mbH & Co. KG, Hamburger Str. 14-20, 25436 Tornesch|
|Warnungen:||Der Konsum von alkoholhaltigen Getränken während der Schwangerschaft kann selbst in geringen Mengen schwere Konsequenzen für die Gesundheit des Kindes nach sich ziehen.|
|Hersteller:||Hamilton Russel Vineyards, Hemel-en-Aarde Valley, R320, Hermanus, 7200, Südafrika|