- 100 Punkte WINE ENTHUSIAST, Roger Voss: "A voluptuous wine, this is rich and fruity yet properly balanced by a magnificent structure. Pure, crisp and packed with a black currant flavor, this will be a remarkable wine as it develops. Still young, it needs many years to develop. Don't think about drinking before 2025."- 98 Punkte Robert Parkers WINE ADVOCATE, Lisa Perrotti-Brown: "The blend of the 2016 Pontet-Canet is 65% Cabernet Sauvignon, 30% Merlot, 3% Cabernet Franc and 2% Petit Verdot. Around 55% of the wine was aged in new French oak barrels, 15% in two-year-old barrels and 35% in cement amphorae for 16 months. Deep garnet-purple colored, it opens with opulent scents of plum preserves, spice cake, hoisin and crème de cassis with fragrant wafts of potpourri, wood smoke and rose hip tea. Medium to full-bodied, rich and decadent, with loads of spicy layers, it has a firm, velvety texture with great freshness and incredible depth, finishing very long and on a compelling mineral note.
2016 marks the 40th vintage at Pontet-Canet for Alfred Tesseron. Winemaker Jean-Michel Comme mentioned it was wet at the beginning of the year, but thankfully the weather changed in late June. Thus, 2016 was a more normal/typical mildew year, so the disease pressure wasn’t too much of an issue. Then it was very dry until fall. He believes the vintage could be compared to 1961 or 2010. The result is an uninhibited, truly singular showing of Pontet-Canet this year—perhaps the richest, most sumptuous and hedonic expression of the vintage of all the great Left Bank wines."
- 96 Punkte VINOUS, Neal Martin: "The 2016 Pontet-Canet was bottled in July 2018. Jean-Michel Comme says it is the best vintage in recent years, a reference point for the estate, with more definition and precision than the 2010 Pontet-Canet. I do like the bouquet here: very pure and precise, the oak nicely integrated, subtle floral scents emerging with time. In the background there is a touch of fresh fig, conveying the warmth of that summer but not impeding upon the terroir expression. The palate is very well balanced and extremely pure, with fine tannin and an almost satin-like texture; the acidity here is well judged. A subtle spiciness becomes more pronounced toward the finish, which exerts gentle grip. This is a very sophisticated Pontet-Canet, easily the finest from Alfred Tesseron and winemaker Jean-Michel Comme in recent years."
- 99 Punkte VINOUS, Antonio Galloni: "The 2016 Pontet-Canet is absolutely breathtaking. Powerful, ample and racy in the glass, the 2016 is one of the most exquisitely well-balanced young Pontet-Canets I can remember tasting. Savory, high-toned aromatics and brisk mineral notes lend energy and delineation as this vivid wonderfully alive wine opens up in the glass. The flavors are dark and incisive, but it is the wine's total sense of harmony that is most compelling. All of the elements are simply in the right place. The 2016 is tremendous. It's as simple as that. As is often the case, Pontet-Canet is one of the most singular wines in Bordeaux. Alfred Tesseron could have chosen to play things safe when he took over the management of the estate in the mid-1990s. Instead, he chose a very different path. No proprietor in Bordeaux has taken more risks over the last two decades than Alfred Tesseron. A commitment to biodynamic farming, sustainability across the entire estate more broadly, and the adoption of new concepts for Bordeaux, such as aging a portion of the wine in terra cotta, set Pontet-Canet apart from other properties in Pauillac and the Left Bank. Not surprisingly, the wine is also starkly different from the wines of neighboring estates."
- 98 Punkte DECANTER, Jane Anson: "The 2016 is a vintage that shows off the best of Pontet, and is similar in feel to their 2010. Gorgeously rich right from the first nose, it opens stunningly in the glass, showing waves of tight black fruits, touches of redcurrant, liquorice and aniseed, fine tannins and mouthwatering salinity. It manages to remain balanced without losing the punch and concentration of Pauillac, rising up through the palate. It's hard not to fall in love with this wine, and it will clearly age with grace and ease. Bottled in July 2018. Drinking Window 2026 – 2042"
- 17 Punkte JANCIS ROBINSON: "60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 35% Merlot, 4% Cabernet Franc, 1% Petit Verdot. Deep crimson – much deeper than 2017. Fully ripe aromas with some glamour and pzazz. Good balance and spreads across the palate without being flashy or too sweet or alcoholic."
- 95-97 Punkte JEB DUNNUCK: "The 2016 Pontet Canet from Alfred Tesseron and estate manager Jean-Michel Comme saw a touch more new oak than normal (55%) and is a blend of 70% Cabernet Sauvignon and the rest Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot. It also had 35% of the blend brought up in amphora. Showing the now hallmark purity and elegance of the estate in its crème de cassis, violet, and spring flower-laced bouquet, this beauty is full-bodied, has bright acidity, and sensational purity of fruit. It’s going to be for those with patience and cold cellars, however, and I wouldn’t touch bottle for at least 7-8 years."
-97-99 Punkte WINE ENTHUSIAST: "Barrel Sample. This wine is so dense and concentrated, with magnificent fruit. The tannins are velvety, but, at the same time, the wine has a dry side that will allow it to age so well. Juicy blackberries and great tannins work in harmony. The estate is in its seventh vintage certified biodynamic."
- 95 Punkte FALSTAFF: "Tiefdunkles Rubingranat, opaker Kern, dezente Randaufhellung, reife Herzkirschen, süße Pflaumen, feine Kräuterwürze, ein Hauch von Nougat, facettenreiches Bukett. Saftig, elegante Textur, feine Extraktsüße, eingebundene Tannine, gute Frische, süße Frucht im Abgang, gutes Entwicklungspotenzial."
- 19 Punkte RENE GABRIEL'S BORD. TOTAL (A. Kunz): "Dichtes, konzentriertes, komplexes, süsses, opulentes Bouquet, schwarze Kirschen, Pflaumen, Lakritze, Minze. Konzentrierter, üppiger, samtener, vielschichtiger Gaumen mit cremiger, fein muskulöser Struktur, vielfältiger, dunkler, süsser Aromatik, dichter Frucht, viel feinem Tannin, sehr langer, süsser, üppiger Abgang mit vielen Rückaromen."
- 98-99 Punkte JAMES SUCKLING: "Vivid and full of energy with blackberry, currant and salt. Full body, intense and long. Harmony. Purpose. Classicism. The mineral and currant character is all year. A seamless tannin texture. Great wine. You want to drink it now!"
- 20 Punkte VINUM: "Die aromatische Komplexität ist ganz einfach verblüffend, betörend, unübertroffen, die Dichte folgt nach, die Tiefe vor allem, das Tonische, Lebendiige, die große Länge, die absolute Nähe zur Traube. Noch einen Schritt weiter in Richtung des absoluten Weins, der besondere Emotionen vermittelt."
|René Gabriel:||19 RG|
|Wine Enthusiast:||98 WE 100 WE|
|Vinous:||99 VS 96 VS|
|James Suckling:||98 JS|
|Jancis Robinson:||17,0 JR|
|Jeb Dunnuck:||96 JD|
|Parker Wine Advocate:||98 RPWA|
|Klassifzierung:||5. Grand Cru Classé|
|Rebsorte(n):||Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot|
|Reben:||65% Cabernet Sauvignon, 30% Merlot, 4% Cabernet Franc, 1% Petit Verdot|
|% vol Alk:||13,5|
|Potenziell allergene Substanzen:||Enthält Sulfite. Kann Spuren von Eiweiß, Gelatine und Milch enthalten.|
|Warnungen:||Der Konsum von alkoholhaltigen Getränken während der Schwangerschaft kann selbst in geringen Mengen schwere Konsequenzen für die Gesundheit des Kindes nach sich ziehen.|
|Hersteller:||Chateau Pontet Canet, F-33250 Pauillac|