- 94 Punkte Robert Parkers WINE ADVOCATE, Lisa Perrotti-Brown: "The 2017 Phélan Ségur is medium to deep garnet-purple colored with pronounced cassis, black raspberries, kirsch and violets with notions of cedar, earth and cigars. The palate is medium-bodied and elegant with great intensity, fine-grained and firm, finishing long and perfumed."
- 93 Punkte VINOUS, Antonio Galloni: "The 2017 Phélan Ségur has turned out beautifully. A wine of real substance and personality, Phélan Ségur is endowed with quite a bit of depth. Black plum, chocolate, spice, leather and mocha are some of the many notes that infuse this wonderfully expressive Saint-Estèphe. Readers should expect a bold, savory wine driven by strong Cabernet Sauvignon accents and structure. Accordingly, the 2017 needs time to be at its very best. In 2017, the Grand Vin contains an unusually high amount of Cabernet Sauvignon (65%), much of which was able to hang until early October, with 34% Merlot and 1% Cabernet Franc. Winemaker Fabrice Bacquey opted to reduce exposure to oxygen during fermentation with the goal of maintaining as much freshness in the fruit as possible. I continue to be deeply impressed with the work Bacquey, Estate Manager Véronique Dausse and consulting winemaker Michel Rolland have done at Phélan over the last few years. Tasted two times."
- 93 Punkte DECANTER, Jane Anson: "Ruby red colour, medium intensity, fairly delicate in structure with floral notes on the nose. This unrolls in the glass, but it is quieter than many of the other recent vintages as it reflects the cooler summer. One that you need to sit with and allow to open but once it does the blackberry fruit is clear, and gentle smoked cedar and cigar box notes add complexity. New owner, Philippe Van de Vyvere as of this vintage. Harvest from September 14 to October 4. 3.74pH. Drinking Window 2022 – 2038"
- JANCIS ROBINSON: "Tasted both at Hangar 14 and at Phélan Ségur. 65% Cabernet Sauvignon (usually 50-55% and picked late, 27 September to 4 October), 34% Merlot, 1% Cabernet Franc. No problems with frost in St-Estèphe (except a small parcel at Lafont-Rochet that goes into their second wine): 45 hl/ha. IPT 78, TA (sulphuric) 3.3 g/l, pH 3.74.
Dark black cherry with purple core. Ripe, bright cassis plus a 'wild' aroma of bramble and elderberry. Firm dry texture giving a whole with sufficient mid-palate fruit. Taut and chewy/chalky but in harmony. Deeper/thicker tannins than on most wines but with plenty of dark fruit at the core. Firm and chewy but still juicy on the long finish. Has plenty of stuffing and should gain elegance with time in bottle."
- 93 Punkte JEB DUNNUCK: "Showing nicely, the 2017 Chateau Phelan Segur is a textbook Saint-Estephe that plays beautifully in the vintage. Classis Saint-Estephe earthy dark fruits, spice box, cedary herbs, and hints of chocolate all emerge from the glass, and it's medium to full-bodied, with a rounded, seamless texture, loads of sweet fruit, and a great finish. It's a beautiful effort that readers should snatch up. Drink bottles over the coming 15-20 years."
- 93 Punkte JAMES SUCKLING: "A firm, silky red with lovely tightness and depth, offering currant, blueberry and hazelnut aromas and flavors. Shows layers and beauty. Bright and vivid. Lovely length. Better in 2022 or later."
|James Suckling:||93 JS|
|Jeb Dunnuck:||93 JD|
|Parker Wine Advocate:||94 RPWA|
|Klassifzierung:||Cru Bourgeois Exceptionnel|
|Rebsorte(n):||Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot Cabernet Franc|
|Reben:||64% Cabernet Sauvignon, 36% Merlot|
|% vol Alk:||13,5|
|Potenziell allergene Substanzen:||Enthält Sulfite. Kann Spuren von Eiweiß, Gelatine und Milch enthalten.|
|Warnungen:||Der Konsum von alkoholhaltigen Getränken während der Schwangerschaft kann selbst in geringen Mengen schwere Konsequenzen für die Gesundheit des Kindes nach sich ziehen.|
|Hersteller:||Chateau Phelan Segur, F-33180 Saint-Estèphe, +33 5 56 59 74 00, www.phelansegur.com|