- 96 Punkte Robert Parkers WINE ADVOCATE, Lisa Perrotti-Brown: "Blended of 60% Merlot, 36% Cabernet Sauvignon, 3% Petit Verdot and 1% Cabernet Franc, the 2016 Pape Clement has a deep garnet-purple color and quite a serious, earthy nose with truffles, tilled soil, underbrush and smoked meats over a cassis, baked plums and redcurrants core plus a touch of lavender. Medium to full-bodied, firm and grainy, the palate is built like a brick house, supporting muscular black fruit and earthy notions and finishing very long and mineral laced."
- "Cellar Selection" WINE ENTHUSIAST, Roger Voss: "This rich, warm wine offers tannins cushioned within layers of black fruits. It is dense with structure and fruit while also having the freshness and acidity typical of this vintage. The wine will age for several years, becoming richer and more opulent. Drink from 2025."
- 96 Punkte WINESPECTATOR, James Molesworth: "This takes a slightly different tack than many of its Pessac colleagues, relying less on bramble and tar and more on alluring toast, with mocha, anise, wood spice and black tea notes draped liberally over the core of sappy kirsch and cherry preserve flavors. Plush and suave through the finish, though this needs a bit of time for the wood elements to be fully integrated with the fruit. For fans of the flashier, cashmere-textured style. Best from 2023 through 2037. 12,500 cases made."
- 96 Punkte VINOUS, Neal Martin: "The 2016 Pape Clément bursts out of the glass, offering ripe blackberry, raspberry coulis, fresh mint and hints of licorice on the well-defined nose. It is perhaps a little more opulent than its peers, but unlike in the past, I don’t find it excessive. The palate is well balanced with supple tannin. There is a killer line of acidity and real panache toward a velvety, almost Pauillac-like finish armed with shimmering black fruit laced with graphite. Superb."
- 96 Punkte VINOUS, Antonio Galloni: "The 2016 Pape Clément is fabulous. Racy and sumptuous in the glass, the 2016 captures the style that now characterizes Bernard Magrez's wines from his estate in Pessac. Specifically, the 2016 is wonderfully deep in the glass, and yet retains terrific freshness as well. A rush of dark cherry, plum, smoke, scorched earth, grilled herb, leather and menthol builds as the 2016 shows off its compelling, inviting personality. I would prefer to give the 2016 at least a few years in bottle to allow its full breadth of aromatics to develop. Even so, there is so much to like. Pliant, supple and super-expressive, Pape Clément is gorgeous in 2016. Tasted two times."
- FALSTAFF, Peter Moser: "Dunkles Rubingranat, opaker Kern, dezente Randaufhellung, zart nach Edelholz und Vanille, schwarze Beerenfrucht unterlegt, mineralischer Touch. Stoffig, saftige Kirschen, sehr elegant und ausgewogen, tragende feine Tannine, angenehme Frische, gute Länge, sicheres Reifepotenzial."
- 95 Punkte DECANTER, Jane Anson: "An extremely attractive Pape Clement, with its own style and the feeling of the fruit being layered over a silky, seductive line of dark chocolate and tarry oak – and it works. This is big but has good balance, not over the top. It's enjoyable, silky and richly textured, and will age well. The tannins start to build on the finish, with a chewy quality that speaks of the extraction. There’s a lot to enjoy here. Drinking Window 2025 – 2042"
- JANCIS ROBINSON: "Tasted blind. Freshness and lots of fruit. Neat and racy with lots of mineral excitement."
- 19 Punkte Rene Gabriels BORDEAUX TOTAL, Andre Kunz: "Kunz Fassprobe 17: Konzertiertes, kräftiges, dunkles, würziges Bouquet, Dörrpflaumen, Zedern, dunkler Tabak, Lakritze, Black Currant, Schwarztee, Röstaromen, Vanillemark. Dichtverwobener, kraftvoller, samtener Gaumen mit kräftiger, dunkler Frucht, viel gutem Tannin, konzentrierter Struktur, dunkler, vielfältiger Aromatik, langer, wuchtiger Abgang mit vielen Rückaromen."
- 97 Punkte JEB DUNNUCK: "Tasted on two separate occasions, the 2016 Château Pape Clément never failed to impress, offering a huge, powerful, full-bodied personality as well as beautiful notes of cassis, graphite, high-class cigar tobacco, asphalt, and graphite. About as sexy as it gets in the vintage, with silky tannins and loads of fruit, it’s perfectly balanced and has a great finish. The 2016 is a blend of 60% Merlot, 36% Cabernet Sauvignon, and the balance Petit Verdot and Cabernet Franc, all raised in 60% new barrels."
- 98 Punkte JAMES SUCKLING: "Stunning concentration of perfectly ripe blackcurrants here with a delicate whiff of vanilla oak and extremely fine tannins that are almost perfectly integrated on the seductive and delicate palate, right through the almost literally breathtaking, super-long and very polished finish. Try from 2022."
|René Gabriel:||19 RG|
|Wine Enthusiast:||Cellar Selection 95 WE|
|James Suckling:||98 JS|
|Klassifzierung:||Grand Cru Classé de Graves|
|Parker Wine Advocate:||96 RPWA|
|Jancis Robinson:||17,0 JR|
|Jeb Dunnuck:||97 JD|
|Rebsorte(n):||Petit Verdot Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot Cabernet Franc|
|% vol Alk:||13,5|
|Potenziell allergene Substanzen:||Enthält Sulfite. Kann Spuren von Eiweiß, Gelatine und Milch enthalten.|
|Warnungen:||Der Konsum von alkoholhaltigen Getränken während der Schwangerschaft kann selbst in geringen Mengen schwere Konsequenzen für die Gesundheit des Kindes nach sich ziehen.|
|Hersteller:||Chateau Pape Clement, 216 Avenue Dr Nancel Penard, F-33600 Pessac, +33 5 57 26 38 38, www.bernard-magrez.com|