- 94 Punkte Robert Parkers WINE ADVOCATE, Erin Brooks: "Pale to medium ruby-purple, the 2017 Pinot Noir Sanford & Benedict Vineyard has a pretty nose of dried rose petal, orange peel and amaro with raspberry and strawberry preserves, cocoa, warm black cherries, perfumed earth, mineral notions, charcuterie and cinnamon stick—what a wonderful perfume! It's light to medium-bodied with fantastic intensity and oodles of floral perfume. It has a firm frame of very finely grained tannins and juicy freshness, finishing very long and perfumed. 196 cases produced.
"Actually, it was a nice cool growing season," Gavin Chanin says of the 2017 vintage, "even though we had that historic heat wave. I've never seen anything like it. It was around 120 degrees in Los Alamos. We had just finished picking the Pinot Noir the day before the heat. I had that feeling you get when you’ve almost had an accident and you get that adrenaline rush. I felt like I had avoided disaster. For me, this is an elegant, floral vintage, but you had to beat the heat. I looked at some neighbor's vines after the heat to see the affect—grapes were 2.5 brix higher than they were two days earlier. All my fruit was in except for some Chardonnay, which did fine weathering through that heat. It was Sanford & Benedict vineyard, and it was like 19 or 20 brix before the heat. So it did OK. We picked everything in a week, and all the fruit was in so quick. I would definitely be shocked if it wasn't kind of a tale of two vintages. Similar to 2010, a cool beautiful year but also with a big heat wave." The Chanin wines (3,500 annual case production) incorporate about 10% to 20% new oak across the board, and some whole cluster is used. "I love stems, but I don't want to taste them in the wine," Gavin says. "To me, that would make the wine more about winemaking than site. I enjoy drinking oaky and stemmy wines, but that's not what I'm after for these wines.""
- 94 Punkte WINE ENTHUSIAST, Matt Kettmann: "Strong aromas of earth and herb kick off the nose of this bottling, but there are also richer red-fruit elements of red cherry, blistered red plums, exotic carnations and sandalwood. Earthy spices dominate the sip, where red-plum-skin flavors are pushed back in favor of gray sagebrush."
- 93 Punkte DECANTER, Matthew Luczy: "The 2017 vintage marked the end of a five-year drought in California, and was a “tale of two vintages” due to late-summer heatwaves that struck across the state. Chanin Wine Co. was able to harvest before temperatures rose by over 20 degrees the norm in the Sta. Rita Hills. The nose of the 2017 Sanford & Benedict Pinot Noir shows aromas of gardenia, black cherries and pomegranate seeds. The texture is grainy and concentrated with an elegant and long, airy finish. Drinking Window 2019 – 2035"
- 94 Punkte INTERNATIONAL WINEREPORT: "The 2017 Sanford & Benedict Pinot Noir is simply brilliant. Displaying a beautifully expressive nose with stunning aromas of black cherries, cranberries, loam, forest floor, exotic spices, white pepper and dried flowers all coming together beautifully. The palate is elegane and remaekably presice with amazing purity and finesse leading up to the long, mouthwatering finish. This checks a lot of boxes and while it is simply delicious today, look for this to continue to evolve and gain complexity over the next decade plus."
- 97 Punkte JEB DUNNUCK: "Lastly, the 2017 Pinot Noir Sanford & Benedict comes from one of the top sites in the Sta. Rita Hills and was 60% destemmed and brought up in 15% new French oak for 15 months. It has a beautiful bouquet of sweet strawberries, toasted spices, forest floor, and earth, with just a hint of salty minerality and seaside-like notes. Ethereal, medium-bodied, ultra-pure, and flawlessly balanced, it's a stunning Pinot Noir that ranks with the finest releases in the vintage. It will keep for 10-15 years."
|Wine Enthusiast:||94 WE|
|Parker Wine Advocate:||94 RPWA|
|International Wine Report:||94 IWR|
|Jeb Dunnuck:||97 JD|
|Region:||Santa Maria Valley|
|Lage/Bezeichnung:||Sanford & Benedict|
|% vol Alk:||13,5|
|Notizen des Weinguts:||The grapes were harvested on August 23, 25, 28 and 30 at 23.5 brix. The grapes underwent a four day cold-soak with 1-3 punchdowns by hand daily. Once dry, the wine was pressed and put into French oak barrels (15% new) where it stayed for 15 months before being racked and bottled unfiltered in December 2015. Dark ruby in color, this wine is extremely complex with nuances of black cherry, tobacco leaf and dried earth. The palate is fleshy, with structured tannins and dense, dark fruit on the finish. Cases Produced: 916 Faming: Sustainable Vine age: 45-20 years Soil: Diatomaceous Earth & Chert (silica rich rock)|
|Potenziell allergene Substanzen:||Enthält Sulfite. Kann Spuren von Eiweiß, Gelatine und Milch enthalten.|
|Importeur/Inverkehrbringer:||Flint Wines Ltd, 16 Stannary Street, London SE11 4AA, Großbritannien|
|Warnungen:||Der Konsum von alkoholhaltigen Getränken während der Schwangerschaft kann selbst in geringen Mengen schwere Konsequenzen für die Gesundheit des Kindes nach sich ziehen.|
|Hersteller:||Chanin Wines, 300 N 12th St, Ste 1c, 93436 Lompoc, USA|
Es gibt noch keine Bewertungen.