- 96 Punkte Robert Parkers WINE ADVOCATE, Anthony Mueller: "The 2016 Syrah High Contrast Vineyard initially wafts from the glass with a rocky dustiness, then reveals an elegant black and red-fruited core of aromas, oozing with seductively bright and focused black raspberry notes, followed by red and purple flowers, a line of stemminess and dried herbs de Provence on the lifted and aromatically complex nose. Medium-bodied on the palate, the wine is ethereal at first, then compounds in the mouth with a mineral tension, the fruit turning a touch tarter across the mid-palate, showing incredible precision and balance. The wine continues to evolve with a fantastic expression and long, drawn-out finish for this young vineyard that was just planted in 2013. Only 335 cases were produced. If you can afford it and you can find it, buy it!"
- 97 Punkte und "Cellar Selection" WINE ENTHUSIAST, Sean P. Sullivan: "This is a new addition to the lineup, with the vineyard located at the edge of this area's cobblestone soils. The aromas are locked up out of the gate, with notes of soot, potpourri, smoked meat, black pepper, green olive and funk. The palate is intense and layered, while retaining an ethereal sense of lightness and balance, with a texture that sets it apart from its littermates from this vintage. A rich savory and flower-filled finish that you can taste literally minutes later is the capstone. It's a knockout, and not a TKO. Not bad for fourth leaf fruit. Best after 2025, with a good life beyond that."
- 96 Punkte INTERNATIONAL WINEREPORT: "The High Contrast Vineyard Syrah is a new wine in this exciting Horsepower lineup which is sourced from a 3-acre parcel on the edge of the AVA, that was planted in 2013 mostly to Syrah and a touch Viognier. The inaugural debut is nothing short of show stopping, as the nose is quite perfumed with striking aromatics of red currants and wild blackberry joined by shades of wet stones, white pepper, meat, black truffle shavings and charcuterie that all impress in the glass. The palate displays a highly refined and gratifying texture, showing soft tannins that mingle with the silky mouthfeel that frae the flavors of red currants, wild blackberry, wet stone and umami and hins of black peppercorn. This is an absolutely brilliant Syrah from the team at Horsepower which is already simply stunning in its youth, yet also shows incredible promise for a wonderful evolution ahead."
- 100 Punkte JEB DUNNUCK: "From a vineyard planted in 2013, the 2016 Syrah High Contrast saw loads of stems and mostly neutral barrels. This thrilling wine has a Chave Hermitage-like purity and class as well as gorgeous notes of cassis, black raspberries, smoked earth, and graphite. It's deep, pure and layered, incredibly layered, pure, and long, with a finish that won't quit. This isn't for those looking for an inky, massive wine, but it’s pure class, complete, amazingly long, and elegant. Give bottles a few years in the cellar and it’s going to shine for 15-20 years."
- 96 Punkte JAMES SUCKLING: "The first release of this plot. This has brightness to the fruit with a very exuberant freshness, as well as abundant fragrance and a smooth, succulent and sheer feel to the tannins. Abundant, rich purple fruit here, yet there’s real precision. This is a very, very specific wine. Holds long and is mouthwatering at the finish. There's great potential here. Try from 2022."
|Wine Enthusiast:||97 WE Cellar Selection|
|James Suckling:||96 JS|
|Parker Wine Advocate:||96 RPWA|
|International Wine Report:||96 IWR|
|Jeb Dunnuck:||100 JD|
|Region:||Columbia Valley Walla Walla|
|% vol Alk:||13,5|
|Notizen des Weinguts:||Cayuse Vineyards is the first winery in the Walla Walla Valley to fully implement biodynamic farming methods in its vineyards. Biodynamism is chemical-free farming that produces both healthier soil and food. It is the only kind of agriculture to take both the soil and the cosmos into account in helping the vines grow in perfect harmony with the forces of the universe. “If you understand that the moon moves oceans, you can also understand that the moon exerts an influence on vines,” said Christophe Baron, vigneron and owner of Cayuse Vineyards. “We want to produce the best wines possible,” said Baron. “Healthy vines make healthy wines. Our vines have always been grown organically, so biodynamism was the next logical step to take.” Since 2002, Cayuse has consulted with Philippe Armenier, a biodynamic farming specialist and previous owner of Domaine de Marcoux, a world-renowned winery in Chateauneuf-du-Pape, France. Using Armenier’s expert advice, Cayuse crushed it’s first biodynamic certified fruit in the 2004 vintage. “I noticed many of the best French producers have been switching from conventional growing methods to biodynamism over the last decade. After tasting their wines, I talked to them to find out more and became convinced that it was a necessary step for Cayuse to take,” said Baron. Using biodynamism, producers such as Chapoutier in the Rhône, Marcel Deiss in Alsace, Coulée de Serrant in the Loire, Jacques Selosse in Champagne, Domaine Leroy in Burgundy, Domaine LeFlaive in Burgundy, and Domaine de Marcoux in Chateauneuf-du-Pape make some of the finest, most sought-after wines in France. Cayuse Vineyards is a 100 percent estate vineyard located in the Walla Walla. Best known for its highly acclaimed Syrah, Cayuse currently creates 12 estate wines from fruit harvested on 51 acres of vines planted in ancient riverbed rock. In fact, the word “Cayuse” refers to the Native American tribe named by French-Canadian traders from the French “cailloux,” which means “stones.” A native of France, Baron developed a passion for farming growing up in his family’s centuries-old Champagne House, Baron Albert.|
|Potenziell allergene Substanzen:||Enthält Sulfite. Kann Spuren von Eiweiß, Gelatine und Milch enthalten.|
|Importeur/Inverkehrbringer:||Weinhandlung Martin Apell, Eugen Richter Strasse 109, 34134 Kassel|
|Warnungen:||Der Konsum von alkoholhaltigen Getränken während der Schwangerschaft kann selbst in geringen Mengen schwere Konsequenzen für die Gesundheit des Kindes nach sich ziehen.|
|Hersteller:||Cayuse Vineyards, PO Box 1602, Walla Walla , WA 99362, USA, www.cayusevineyards.com|